Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Four Quick Reviews

Cloverfield:

A seriously excellent popcorn flick. The argument can be made that it addresses larger themes of consumerism, the inevitable selfishness that’s swept across the nation post 9/11, our country’s inability to handle the real monsters out there (the ones who attack without warning), etc., etc. Maybe it does, and maybe I’m doing J.J. Abrams, Drew Goddard, and Matt Reeves a disservice when I say, forget that shit. There’s enough to think about right now, and, what with the ongoing writer’s strike, a dearth of truly satisfying entertainment. So pop a Dramamine, fill your arms with salty sweets, and slip on your best suspension of disbelief sweater. This movie is 80+ minutes of fun – let yourself get sucked it.


There Will Be Blood:

The performances are excellent, it’s just a shame they have nowhere to go. I don’t mind settling in for a movie that takes its time to unfold, and for the first hour and a half I was pleasantly surprised at the way this slow-paced flick actually had me interested and invested. About two thirds of the way through, however, it became apparent that the director didn’t really know how to get to the climactic scene. The movie rambled on, and the payoff, while climactic, was also awkward and long overdue when it finally arrived. I left feeling vaguely disappointed.


Juno:

There are a few lines of dialogue at the beginning that come off as incredibly forced. I’m not sure if that’s because they were, in fact, forced, or rather because I hadn’t gotten to know the characters yet. Looking back, I think it’s a little bit of both. Perhaps if I saw this again, “Silencio, old man,” would seem quite natural coming from the lead’s mouth, although I doubt it. Nevertheless, this is a wonderful, beautiful movie that deserves all the accolades that are currently being showered upon it. It’s not a depiction of the average teen, and it never claims to be. The characters are all eccentric, yet they are all very real and, once established, they never once violate the boundaries that have been drawn for them. It’s a rare movie that can get you to laugh and cry, and it brings about both emotions honestly.


Atonement:

I liked it, but it’s not the best picture of the year. I wasn’t spoiled, but I knew the outcome from the trailers alone. This isn’t a bad thing. However, when your audience knows the end, the movie becomes entirely about the journey. Unfortunately, this journey had too many slow points. Additionally, the time jumps weren’t necessary for the story telling. I understand why they were put in, but I think the movie would have functioned better if told in a straight linear fashion – in the end, the audience would still be able to separate the truth from the lies. I do plan on reading the book, however, since something is always inevitably lost in the translation from page to screen.

No comments: