Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I Voted!

I just got back from voting. I’ve always loved the experience, but I have to say it’s been the best in New York. It has to do with the fact that my polling place is a block and a half away from my house, at the local elementary school. I love walking over there with a book tucked under my arm (to ward off any possible lines.) I love the ritual involved: giving my name; waiting while the poll worker flips through the pages of the log book; watching her fill out my voter card; peeking to see what number I was (tonight I was voter #125 in district 17); entering the booth and pulling the lever to the right; flipping the switches and watching the X appear next to my candidate’s name; pulling the lever back to the left and listening as my votes are locked in.

I always exit the booth with a smile. I always feel a little choked up as I walk back through the school’s lobby and glance at the construction paper artwork and point tallies for this month’s fundraiser. I always have an extra bounce in my step as I walk back home, passing people heading towards the school, thinking about getting home and turning on CNN to watch the results come in. I always feel full of hope.

I am especially hopeful this year. It’s been a long eight years, and I’m ready for a change. I’m so proud that this country is on the verge of electing either a black man or a white woman – groundbreaking in both cases and long overdue. I’m excited that we’re on the verge of electing a Democrat. I’m anxious to get back to the business of striving to be the type of country that other nations look to emulate. I’m happy and excited and nervous… but most of all I’m full of hope.

Unfortunately for Obama, my hope rests with Clinton. A promise of “change” will never trump an honest platform, and I’ve found more that I agree with in Hillary’s than in Barrack’s,

Look for more as the night goes on.

P.S. Missouri is a crucial state for the Republican and Democratic candidates alike. If you haven’t already, please vote!

No comments: